Information for foreign students
The admission to study at the Schmalkalden University of Applied Sciences derives from the Thuringian University Act and is in accordance with the general terms of the Federal Republic of Germany, which require:
• the general qualification for university entrance ( more information here )
• the DSH - "Deutsche Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang" (German language exam for university entrance)
Enrolment generally takes place at the beginning of the winter semester of each academic year. If you are admitted to study immediately, or if an assessment test at the Thuringian Staatliches Studienkolleg in Nordhausen (or elsewhere) is required, can only be decided after receipt of your complete application documents.
The following application documents are required:
- application form (see pdf file) , fill-in helper: info_sheet_for_admission application
- proof of the general qualification for university entrance (officially authenticated copies of certificates, in German or English)
- Copy of birth certificate and passport
- copy of certificates of successfully passed DSH or TestDaf
- Proof of insurance for enrollment at a German university
- proof of a monthly income of at least 500 euros to meet expenses
- (During registration please bring one passport photo for your Schmalkalden University of Applied Sciences student ID.)
Applications are to be sent directly to the International Office.
“The town of Schmalkalden, over 1139 years old, lies on the sunny side of the Thuringian Forest mountains close to the Rennsteig and a little away from the busy roads.
Schmalkalden is equally interesting and attractive for nature-lovers and walkers, historians and art enthusiasts.“ (Tourist Information in Schmalkalden)
Every sixth inhabitant of the city is a student and although this town consists of approximately 20.000 inhabitants, this town represents a small meeting point for the students from all over the world.
One week before the semester starts. The exact date will be sent to you by E-Mail.
Please notice before arrival:
|AcademicCalendar:||Winter Semester||Summer Semester|
|01.10. - 31.03.||01.04. - 30.09.|
|WelcomeDays:||One week earlier than the semester starts.|
|Exams’ Period:||3 weeks in February||Mid-July until beginning August|
|ApplicationsDeadlines:||Winter Semester||Summer Semester|
|June 15th||January 15th|
(Please note: Send application earlier, otherwise time is pretty short if you need a visa.)
Approx. Living Costs (per month)
Housing: Euro 175 - 200
- On campus housing or housing next to the campus
- It is necessary to apply for your housing
|Application deadlines:||Winter Semester||Summer Semester|
|starts 1st April||starts 1st November|
Links for application:
Please note: The student dormitories are not managed by the University.
Books and class reading materials: Euro 0 - 50
Food: Euro 150 - 200
Leisure activities: Euro 100 - 150
Health insurance: Euro 70 - 80 (if your home insurance is not valid)
Semester contribution of approximately 95,90 Euro
(Semester contribution includes a semester ticket for the
local train transportation in Thuringia.)
Our International Office offers a comprehensive support programme for international students at the Schmalkalden University of Applied Sciences. Besides German courses, this programme includes excursions, study trips, parties and much more.
"To-do check list" upon arrival
- bank: open an account
- accommodation: rental agreement
- "Einwohnermeldeamt" (office for registration of address)
- "Ausländerbehörde" (office for registration of foreigners) in Meiningen
- health insurance
Immatrikulation and Transcripts
Ms. Franziska Weiß
Room: A-Building A0001
phone: +49 3683 688 1202
- Studying in Schmalkalden - Fields of Study and Degrees
- DAAD (Study in Germany Blog)
More information regarding studying at our University:
More information regarding studying in Germany:
Welcome Center Thuringia:
Letzte Änderung: 29.07.2016