Zum Inhalt springenZur Hauptnavigation springenZur Suche springen
Information for Foreign Students

International Students

The admission to study at the Schmalkalden University of Applied Sciences derives from the Thuringian University Act and is in accordance with the general terms of the Federal Republic of Germany, which require:

  • the general or subject-specific certificate of higher education entrance qualification (on the online database www.anabin.de you can check if your school certificate is recognized in Germany)
  • the DSH - "Deutsche Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang" (German language exam for university entrance)

Enrollment generally takes place at the beginning of the winter semester of each academic year. If you are admitted to study immediately, or if an assessment test at the Thuringian Staatliches Studienkolleg in Nordhausen (or elsewhere) is required, can only be decided after receipt of your complete application documents.

The following application documents are required:

  • application form (see pdf file) , fill-in helper : Fill-in helper (see pdf file)
  • proof of the general qualification for university entrance (officially authenticated copies of certificates, in German or English)
  • Copy of birth certificate and passport
  • Copy of certificates of successfully passed DSH 2- or TestDaf (at least 4x4)-examination
  • Proof of insurance for enrollment at a German university
  • proof of a monthly income of at least 500 euros to meet expenses
  • (During registration please bring one passport photo for your Schmalkalden University of Applied Sciences student ID.)

Applications are to be sent directly to the International Office. The adresse is:

Hochschule Schmalkalden
Blechhammer 9
Building A, Room 0008
98574 Schmalkalden

General information about applying for a study programme at German universities by the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) are available here:


Exchange Students

Exchange students from our partner universities and exchange students who wish to study one or two semesters at the Schmalkalden University of Applied Sciences are usually accredited as exchange students.

Application forms for the exchange are sent to you on request by Ms. Weisheit: c.weisheit(at)fh-sm.de

German-courses for foreign students

The International Office offers german lessons for exchange students from international partner universities of the Schmalkalden University of Applied Sciences.

Every March and September exchange students have the possibility to attend a German language intensive course. For more information see here: German Language Courses.

A DSH course (German language exam for university admission of foreign Applicants) or DSH exam is NOT offered at the College Schmalkalden.

Support Programme:

Our International Office offers a comprehensive support programme for international students at the Schmalkalden University of Applied Sciences. Besides German courses, this programme includes excursions, study trips, parties and much more. Each foreign student will get a buddy, a Schmalkalden student who supports you while studying and living in Schmalkalden.

Semester Dates



01.10. - 31.03.


01.04. - 30.09.

WelcomeDays:One week earlier than the semester startsIn the first week of the semester
Exams’ Period:Three weeks in FebruaryMid-July until beginning August


June 15th


January 15th

Accommodation for foreign students

The Dormitories in Schmalkalden offer 540 rooms. The dorm Blechhammer is located on campus and offers single and group rooms in separate flats with kitchen and sanitary units. The Dromitories at the Martin-Luther-Ring ( 8 Minutes from the Campus) offer single rooms and shared flats for 2-4 people.Prices range from 180 - 217 Euro.


Application deadlines:


starts 1st April


starts 1st November


For more Informations ask here: Residential Homes Schmalkalden


Links for application:


The administration of the dorm is a separate institution and not connected to the International Office.

Health Insurance

To get enrolled at a German university, a health insurance is required. Since 2014 there are new regulations for the enrollment of international students. Accepted for enrollment will be (a) German public health insurances, (b) European health insurance or (c) exceptions of the public health insurance obligation.

  • (a) Any person who lives in Germany is obliged to have a health insurance. We recommend to purchase a health insurance as soon as you arrive in Germany and the International Office will guide you through the application process. The fee is around 90 € per month. There are special provisions for students who are 30 and older
  • (b) Students from within the European Union, who hold a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) don’t need to purchase another health insurance. A copy of your EHIC is sufficient
  • (c) Germany has bilateral health insurance agreements with a number of states. People from those countries can be exempted from the German public health insurance obligation. Therefore you need an entitlement document from the health insurance agency of your home country and submit it to a local health insurance agency in Germany

Private health insurances and insurances you purchased at your home country before your departure mostly are insufficient. That’s why we recommend:

  1. Do not purchase a health insurance in your home country, only a travel insurance for your arrival
  2. Purchase a public German health insurance right after your arrival in Germany
"To-do check list" upon arrival

  • bank: open an account
  • accommodation: sign the rental agreement
  • health insurance : sign a contract
  • Registration office
  • Foreigners office
  • timetable and registration for the courses

All relevant information concerning studying and living in Schmalkalden
Enrollment and Transcripts

Mr. Andre Nierlich
Students-Office, House A, room 0001

Tel: +49 3683 688 1202

E-Mail: a.nierlich(at)hs-sm.de

Information regarding studying at Schmalkalden University

Information regarding studying in Thuringia

Information regarding studying in Germany

German Blog