Zum Inhalt springenZur Hauptnavigation springenZur Suche springen

Information for Students of the SUAS

Studying / Working Abroad:

In principle there are two possibilities of spending one or two semesters abroad: either studying at one of Schmalkalden's partner universities, or completing an internship in an international firm.

The first consultation and your initial application to study abroad is processed in your faculty. After the deadline has passed, your documents are transferred to the International Office, which will send the nomination to the partner university.

The purpose of the period abroad can vary. Alongside normal study or participating in practical training, you can research or write your thesis, or work on special projects.

Your contact in the faculties:

FacultyInternational Coordinator
Faculty of Electrical Engineering

House D0409

Tel.: +49 (0) 3683 688 5116

Prof. Dr. Ing. Matthias Fischer

Faculty of Computer Science

House F 0112

Tel.: +49 (0) 3683 688 4104

Prof. Hartmut Seichter, PhD

Faculty of Mechanical Enginnering

House D 0325

Tel.: + 49 (0) 3683 688 2113

Prof. Dr. Emil Kolev

Faculty of Business and Economics

House C 0307

Tel.: + 49 (0) 3683 688 3102

Prof. Dr. Bach

Faculty of Business Law

House D 0331

Tel.: +49 (0) 3683 688 6108

Prof. Dr. iur. Rainer Schackmar

International Partner Universities of SUAS

The cooperation of SUAS with international partner universities is continuously expanding with the purpose to offer all the students the possibility to study or to complete an internship abroad. The students’ individual interests, their personal condition and the partner universities of the faculties (Business Law, Business and Economics, Computer Science, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering) are the main factors that have to be taken into consideration when deciding for a place to study or intern abroad.

Check: Partner universities

We recommend you to join the Buddy Programme of the International Office when preparing for studying or interning abroad.

Check: Buddy-Programme


Whether you need to apply for a visa or not depends on the country you want to study or intern in. German citizens do not need a visa for European countries, but for the USA, Canada or Australia a visa is necessary. You will receive information about the type of visa you have to apply for from the partner university or the study programme that you sign up for. Usually you need a study permit visa that allows you to study abroad for a certain period of time. The visa is not a long-term residence permit. You can apply for a visa at the embassy of the respective country. Please apply for a visa as soon as possible to make sure that you will have it in time.

Health Insurance Abroad

For information concerning your insurance cover during your stay abroad please go to: https://www.covomo.de/. Here you can find: 

a) pages with comprehensive information regarding the insurance cover and a comparison calculator that hepls you find a suitable insurance



b) general information regarding your studying abroad


Support Programmes

Studying Abroad


"Studieren weltweit"

Website: www.studieren-weltweit.de

Facebook: facebook.com/studierenweltweit

Twitter: twitter.com/studieren_ww

Instagram: instagram.com/studierenweltweit


Further websites about studying abroad:


Final thesis abroad

Further details are available from the International Office or from Prof. Dr. Schuster, Faculty of Business and Economics.


Internship abroad

  • E.U. Programm Erasmus+
  • Leonardo-Büro Thüringen

Important application deadlines for grants ! Up to more than one year prior to going abroad ! Learn the language early ! Holiday courses on one's own initiative!

Information Brochures

The programmes listed above are funded by the DAAD, the German Federal Ministry for Education and Science and the German Federal Foreign Office.