Skip to content Skip to mainnavigation Skip to footer

Degree Seeking

Application and Enrolment Process

If you would like to complete a whole Bachelor’s or Master’s degree at Schmalkalden University, you have to pass pretty much the same application process as our native students. As a foreigner you will, however, need to prove sufficient German skills for all bachelor and master degrees except for our degrees in English language, B.A. International Business & Economics, M.A. International Business & Economics, M.Eng. Mechatronics & Robotics, and M.Sc. Applied Computer Science. We accept one of the following certificates:

  • DSH-2, or
  • TestDaf 4x4.

For applications to the English-language bachelor's program B.A. International Business & Economics, no proof of German is required. However, applicants must present one of the following certificates:


Furthermore, you will need to prove your university entrance qualification equivalent to German high-school diploma (“Abitur”). In most cases, this will be your high-school certificate. On you can find out how your high-school degree is rated in Germany.

If your high-school diploma does not qualify you to enter studies in Germany, you instead have the option to partake in an admission process to be able to study at Schmalkalden University. This is only possible when applying for a Bachelor’s degree programme; Master’s degree programmes are exempted from that option.

To enrol for the admission process, you will need to apply for a bachelor’s degree programme with all the needed documentation as listed below, this includes all the required language certifications. You can only apply for one Bachelor’s degree programme at a time.

After your documents have been reviewed, you will be informed of your registration for the admission process. After your registration you will be enrolled like any other degree-seeking student, however on a temporary enrolment for two semesters.

To pass the admission process and be fully enrolled at Schmalkalden University, you will have to partake in the lectures and courses of the degree programme, as well as the corresponding course exams. If you are able to gain 30 ECTS points during the period of your temporary enrolment (two semesters) you have fulfilled the requirements for the admission process and will be enrolled as a regular student.

In any case, these are all the documents you need to provide when applying at Schmalkalden University for a full degree:

  • Informal cover letter
  • Completed application form
  • DSH-2 or TestDaf (4x4 or higher) certificate
  • Copy of high-school certificate with date and final mark (officially authenticated copy in German or English)
  • Copy of passport
  • 2 passport photos
  • Copy of Bachelor certificate (for Master applicants only)
  • Enrolment certificate from your university (for double-degree applicants only)

Please note that applicants with degrees from India, Vietnam and China must also enclose a valid APS certificate with their application. Be sure to apply for your APS certificate in your home country in good time.

Please send all documents to

Hochschule Schmalkalden
Dezernat 1
z. H. Cornelia Weisheit
Blechhammer 4–9
98574 Schmalkalden

via post by July 15th for the following winter semester or by January 15th for the following summer semester, respectively. Please note that for the majority of our study programmes, enrolment is only possible in winter semester. In general, we advise you to apply as early as possible to allow for sufficient time for the further steps explained below.



During your study period, you will most likely wish to be living close to campus. The student dormitories are affordable, fully furnished, comfortable and on-campus, and they are especially interesting for exchange students, who are going to stay in Schmalkalden for only a few months. Please note that the dormitories are not administered by the university, but by an external organisation. The contact is person in case of questions is Ute Ludwig. Be sure to apply for a room at least three months prior to your arrival in Schmalkalden. Also, do not miss to respond to any confirmation e-mails sent by the dormitory management; otherwise, your application may cease to be valid. What is more, there are three dormitory tutors in charge of the student tenants. Be sure to tell them in advance when you are going to arrive in Schmalkalden. One of them will pick you up from the train station and take you to the dormitory.
For the activation of internet access in the dormitory, the information provided here should be followed.

However, the private housing market also offers affordable apartments for students near the campus. Please consult our Housing Info Sheet for more detailed information. In addition, our housing team will be happy to help you find accommodation; contact details can be found here.

If you are travelling with a child, we kindly ask you to contact Mrs. Saarmann regarding the general organisation, for example a place in a kindergarten. 

Health Insurance

Another important point you need to consider is a valid health insurance for Germany. If you are a citizen of an EU member state and are in possession of a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC), you have nothing to worry about; your card will be accepted in Germany the same way as in your home country.

The same holds if you have insurance coverage due to bilateral agreements between your country of residence and Germany. In this case, you need to ask your health insurance agency for a letter confirming the agreement and bring it with you to Schmalkalden where you will be exempted.

If, however, you are not covered by EU health insurance, we strongly advise you to only take out short-time travel insurance prior to your arrival in Schmalkalden. During the orientation week, representatives of three German public health insurance companies will be on campus so you can easily obtain proper insurance coverage.

In order to study at a German university, it is obligatory to either take out public health assurance or to be exempted from it (on the basis of a valid foreign insurance). While you can, of course, choose any private insurance company you want, we would like to point out that they do not always meet the criteria for exemption. For detailed information, please see our Info Sheet on health insurance.



Please mind the latest regulations on arrivals to Germany and Schmalkalden during the pandemic. We are summarizing all relevant information in our Info Sheet which will be kept up to date.



The same holds for a German bank account. While it is not obligatory to have a German bank account, it might be useful to have one when it comes to withdrawing money and making bank transfers. There are currently three German banks that have branches in Schmalkalden: Sparkasse, Postbank and Raiffeisenbank. Again, you can easily open a free account (by the conditions that apply) at any of them. More detailed information can be found here in our Info Sheet.

During our Welcome Days in the first week of the semester, we inform you about all administrative and professional matters that you will need to take care of after your arrival in Schmalkalden. More detailed information can be found here in our Info Sheet.