The Advisory Board makes recommendations on university profile building and the focus in research and teaching, as well as further developments of the courses on offer.
The recommendations include those on:
- Confirmation of the Charter
- Structural and development planning
- Fundamentals on equipment and distribution of materials
It elects the President and Head of Administration.
The Advisory Board has eight members with voting rights, of whom six are external. Proposed by the University, they are elected for a term of office of four years.
Dr. h.c. Hans-Joachim Bauer, retired President of the Thuringia Oberlandesgericht (higher regional court)
Marina Heller, Chairwoman of the Board of Directors of the Rhön-Rennsteig-Sparkasse (bank)
- Prof. Dr. Andrea Klug, President of the OTH Amberg-Weiden
- Eberhardt Reiche, Chairman of the 3D-Micromac AG Chemnitz, Ventuz AG Hamburg and Shareholder of the scia Systems GmbH Chemnitz
- Peggy Greiser, Administrative Officer of the Schmalkalden-Meiningen district
- Prof. Dr. Heinz-Peter Höller, Faculty of Informatics of the Schmalkalden University
- Daniela Gröger, Head of Controlling of the Schmalkalden University
- Ralf Coenen, Thuringian Ministry for Economic Affairs, Science and Digital Society